Thursday, September 30, 2010

hey beautiful ♫



"I will never be the woman with the perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it." - Carrie Bradshaw


We all need to take a look every now and then at those less privileged than us to realize how blessed we truly are. It gets us back on track, but sadly only for a short while.

That's what happened during a surgery lecture about burns we took last week. A plastic surgeon was showing us pictures of burn victims, explaining to us how this and that got burned, how she managed to save them, and how they recovered. Mind you, recover is a relative term here. Most of the people in those pictures will remain disfigured for life, but they are thankful for being alive and functioning.

The pictures were very disturbing and heartbreaking. Even after years as a medical student there are some scenes your eyes just can't get used to. One reason why I don't consider plastic surgery or dermatology.

Back to the lecture, I kept thinking how we complain a lot about how we look. It's a bad habit, but we all do it. We obsess over the monthly pimple, and God forbid we get more than one, the world would then have come to an end. We want to lose weight. Why isn't my hair voluminous enough? We hate the dark circles under our eyes, we call ourselves "zombies" and "pandas" and some other names. We want Gisele Bundchen's legs. Look how big my nose looks when I smile! And the list goes on...

But we are beautiful. We are, and I quote my lovely friend B here, beauty queens. We are smart, we are funny, we are kind, we are doing the things we love, we are surrounded by our amazing families and friends, and most important of all, we are healthy.

As I said, the effect only lasts for a short time. But I've decided I'll try to stop obsessing over how I look. No more magnifying the tiny flaws. No more staring at the the made-up, airbrushed models in magazines and sighing... I'm always told I'm beautiful, why isn't that ever enough?


So who's in with me?






12 comments:

Reem Aw said...

Well, I agree a bajillion percent! I can't fully grasp the concept though.. I mean, I get that what I'm thinking/saying is wrong, and that I'm more blessed than a lot of people who are disfigured or are dealing with some sort of real issue, but I guess us humans can never really accept what we have, can we?

For you and your beautiful post, I'll try to stop self-criticizing all the time.. Good :D?

(although I doubt I'll get anywhere, I've tried too much before!)

Lama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raisa said...

I know. I know. I know.
problem is we all know, we just need a reminder every now and then ...but we know

I think I'm more comfortable and confident now than I was younger, less complaining and more appreciation

I still want Gisele Bundchen's legs thou :p
.
.
.
and you are beautiful, Hind. Keep it up :]

Lama said...

sorry bl'3l6 I deleted my comment *embarrassed*

I just wiped the make up on my face from when I was out. and then when I read this post Im really touched !! <3 and regret the moment I though I needed make up to look pretty

Athoug said...

I absolutely love this post! And really, realizations come and go easily and we don't know how good we've got it, until it's gone.
I would love to go beyond that pimple or those bags under the eyes... just shows you that happiness is really a state of mind :))

Great, great post, Hind <3

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You've got yourself a new reader!! :D

Hamid said...

salamunalaikum.

K.D said...

wooow you got yourself new readers!!!


im not really with you btw
coz i know i look awesome.. and thats it!

symphony said...

ah Hind I was just complaining about my weight which is something I do EVERYDAY. No matter how my family are bored from hearing it over and over, I keep complaining and they HAVE to listen to me :D Mom always asks me to be thankful for having a healthy body with no illnesses and disfiguration. I'm with you, I'll try my VERY BEST

P.S: I miss your posts. I'm so glad that you came back to your pinkish world <3

Ex-clamation Mark said...

I couldn't agree more! We should be grateful for what we have.

And I will always be the girl who has coffee stains on her whatever-colored shirt!!

A Walking Coffee Bean said...

Thats a very beautiful post you wrote <3