Saturday, June 26, 2010

i am my mother's daughter

This thought occured to me while I was watching Desperate Housewives (I just started watching the show, which is.. well, I know...)

Those women and we are so much alike. Even though we're still young and unmarried but we already act like mothers. The maternal instincts we possess are so powerful they are reflected on everyone around us, whether sisters, brothers, friends, or even parents.

I, being the eldest daughter in the house, set rules even more than my parents do. I turn off the TV when it gets late and tell my little siblings to go to bed NOW. I keep their phones and laptops. I make them go study before I allow them to watch TV or go online. I make sure they shower everyday. I pick their clothes and do their hair. I take them to the hospital. I drop them off and pick them up. I take them out.....

I am a second mother to them. Just like every girl is a second mother to her siblings.
But this is an old, well-known fact.


What I keep wondering is, when does a guy start acting like a father?

14 comments:

Hope said...

Ma sha2 Allah, you are your Mother's daughter and I bet she's so very proud of you =)

I am the eldest daughter too, and most definitely feel so protective and motherly of my little siblings, its like an instinct :)

I too, wonder when do guys start acting like Fathers. I should observe ;)

Fadiosis said...

So lovely and cute. Mashallah.. I was raised by my eldest sister :D. And as an answer to your question, my brothers started acting like fathers when they got their second children!!!!!!

It's horribly annoying that a guy's responsibility starts after marriage while a girl's starts right after puberty!!!

In the end, it'll all be paid back :D.

Smart CoOKie said...

Mashallah you are very responsible. I'm the eldest sister, though I'm not very affectionate nor caring. I mean I care but not that much :P

MyHeartHasBlurted said...

yah i realized that the eldest daughter always takes the role of a mother - in most cases that is- , even in our house it's the same.. Good job <3

eshda3wa said...

when he has kids
and sometimes not even then

Ahmed said...

Mashallah 3aleek. A guy starts acting like a father when he gets his driving licence, period.

3bdallah said...

Allah Y5alliki elhom :)

I'm the eldest brother in the family and I only have two sisters. I act like a second Father to them too. I almost do all the stuff you mentioned and I like doing that :)

S.Sofie said...

Beautiful :)

Even I'm eldest and I know exactly what you mean.
Its not easy I must say, but you enjoy the authority :P

To answer your question : I feel they never grow up..
and act like a father?
You expected and asked for barely there instinct in men -.-

K.D said...

you lost me at "I was watching Desperate Housewives"

:D

Anonymous said...

wow thats amazing mashallah!
you are a mom by nature!!

Anonymous said...

Mashallah Hind! I'm the eldest too. I don't do half that, to be honest - but I'm not exactly "standard". My brother sometimes teases me and tells me I act like a second mom cause I buy his clothes, stay with him when he's sick, etc. But I am NO WAY my mother's daughters. Basically cause I don't have the same approach. She likes different things. I'm not the same as my family to be honest.

Desperate Housewives... I see where you get that. All the moms have this thing in common, can't be said - you just see it.

As for guys... NEVER. It's like, it comes when they're put on the spot.
I think I'll be like that. LOL!

Lovely post <3

!nsanity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
!nsanity said...

When does a guy start acting like a father ? Well... depends on your definition of what fathers do. If its all: "You can't do this and that !" Honestly we can do that whenever we damn well please (although I've never been that type). If fathers are the ones who you share your fun times with, as soon as you start hitting puberty then :D

ren_crow said...

When he starts paying the bills.