Friday, December 3, 2010

on life plans.

One of the potential future specialties I had in mind was oncology. I thought it suited me. I thought I could be of help to those people who have got the ugliest of diseases.


It wasn't my number one option but it was on the list. Though my father kept trying to change my mind about it and telling me it wouldn't do me any good whenever I brought it up.

The reason why I thought I could handle it was the fact that cancer has gotten to some of the dearest people to me. People I wouldn't imagine my life without. Yet, it was, el7amdillah, the curable form of it.
I also believed I had what it takes to be a good oncologist. And that's what I kept telling everyone.

That is until one day when we were in a clinical teaching session with a surgeon. We were discussing a case, an old man with pancreatic cancer. It is well known that pancreatic cancer is one of the worst kinds of cancer. It is cruel and monstrous and, in the majority of cases, inoperable. So the surgeon concluded with "I give this man 6 months max to live".

I went with a couple of my friends down to his room because they wanted to ask him a few more questions. I hadn't met the man before and when I stepped in that room and saw him, I literally couldn't move. All the facts about his condition started to rush back into my head. I stood right there staring at him while he was answering my friends' questions. I was overwhelmed. And it was weird because after years in med school you start to think you've actually seen it all. I thought I was immune to this kind of thing. But no, I teared up and left the room and that's when it hit me, I don't want that. No, I can't do that.

I know this is bound to happen in all branches of medicine. I know I'll have to toughen up no matter what specialty I choose to do. But I don't want my career to involve around 5-year survival rates and palliative treatment to a great extent. I might be good for it, but I'm not sure it would be good for me.


And that's how I crossed oncology off my list.

8 comments:

jainpotter said...

I might be good for it , but I'm not sure if it would be good for me " this's a life changing line , way to go dear , may god help in any speciality u choose , and most importantly lead u to choose the one that u're good for and it's good for u
regards

jainpotter said...

I might be good for it , but I'm not sure if it would be good for me " this's a life changing line , way to go dear , may god help in any speciality u choose , and most importantly lead u to choose the one that u're good for and it's good for u
regards

Zakarti said...

I couldn't agree more with jainpotter. Life is hard because we see the obstacles not the goals. Don't let your emotions influence your plans. Sometimes its better to wait until you have a clear mind before you take an action. Good luck on whatever you choose :)

Smart CoOKie said...

It's not necessarily not good for you. Even if you couldn't cure your patients, you'll be making the last months or years of their lives more tolerable. I'm sure it must be heart breaking but it will be rewarding as well.

Never the less, wish you the best with whatever speciality you may choose. And what is the journey of medical school if we didn't change our future specialities every month? :P

ren_crow said...

Wow if thats what it took to get you to cross off a medical specialty then you're going to be crossing off alot more.

Apothecary said...

The laws of medicine interplay in such mysterious ways.
You know exactly where you stand..
It seems that the metastases has found it's path to the minds of it's oppressor...
Are you going to give up that simply ya doctora?
It's you against the Malignancy.
The progressive,analytical war of dr vs cancer,
Playing out on a board of humanitarian Chess.
Don't give in...
Surpass the trials within your mind.
You've already chosen to fight this battle,elegantly conduct this war.
Savor what's left of your dying passion,confront Oncology, and accept the challenge.
We need passionate Dr.'s
Doctors that are willing to donate fragments of their souls in
the name of the continuum. "existence"
Once your an oncologist, your life will be a display of utter generosity.
Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating the stereotypes, I'm simply stating them.
Once your an oncologist..
Cure the cancerous souls.

Athoug said...

I bet Oncology is one of the toughest specialities in medicine and It must've been hard walking in and seeing a father, husband and friend being sentenced to death by such a horrible disease, but keep on exploring Oncology Hind before permanently crossing it off your list. Maybe you'll find that it is good for you too, or maybe it isn't, but give yourself time.
Best of luck on whatever you choose! o Allah yeshfeeh o jamee3 el muslmeen <3

His Sweetheart said...

I've not studied medicine but have always wanted to study Oncology and Hematology.

Don't let it hold you back, you might be a pediatrician ans have this baby under your treatment who could die because of high fever..! Totally unexpected even for you, Oncology is a great specialty especially that cancer has been sadly overwhelming the place..

How about Genetics?! VERY rare here!