Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Trends?

Miranda Hobbes: Why did we ever stop drinking these?
Carrie Bradshaw: Because everyone else started!


Girls here have a certain system of trend following. It involves every aspect of life. It spreads scaringly fast. No one knows how it starts or how it ends. It's just.. there. We watch it as it comes and goes.

Exhibit A: Cupcakes
Since I was a little my mother made us cupcakes. We always loved those little delicious sweets.

All of a sudden, cupcakes are the It-Food (yes, there is It-Food. Refer to Exhibit D). Everyone loves cupcakes, everyone eats cupcakes, everyone makes cupcakes for crying out loud!

I'm not saying people should not love them, they are perfect and deserve to be loved, but what really amazes me are the girls who have so-called cupcake business that is based on a mild-tasting bunch of cupcakes.
Except for a few really good cupcake makers here, the only baking skills those have are Betty Crocker mix and artificial food colors. Honey, that does not qualify you to be a cupcake baker, and definitely does not qualify you to start your own business either!


Exhibit B: Polo Shirts

What is it with Polo shirts nowadays?

Whenever you turn your head around, there is a girl (or a guy) in a Burberry/Ralph Lauren/Lacoste polo shirt. Some even order a huge number of Polo shirts, all sizes and colors, and sell them in bazaars. (tip: if you find a high selling item in a bazaar, don't buy it)

I love polo shirts, though I don't have any as I'm not a big fan of t-shirts, they are very cute and trendy, and every one of my siblings owns at least one. But I don't understand, why now?



Exhibit C: Gossip Girl

I know I'm going to sound snobby here, but I love to watch shows that are not watched by every single person here. I started watching Gossip Girl shortly after it started and I was in love with it.. A couple of months later Gossip Girl became the talk of the town, and everyone was watching it and talking about it and copycatting Blair Waldorf.. and well, it got frustrating.

That leads us to headbands.. But I love headbands. So I'm going to leave it to you here :P



Exhibit D: Sushi

True, I myself recently started finding sushi delicious. I hated it before. But, please, get this: blabbering about sushi all the time doesn't make you awesome. At all.



Exhibit E: Photography

I'm quoting my sister here, "owning a digital camera doesn't make you a "photographer"". Please, please, PLEASE, do not call yourself photographer just because you took a couple of shots of your cousins or your iPod.


Note: I'm not trying here to put down anyone who does any of the mentioned things above, I actually do some of them, my sisters do, my friends do.. But it's annoying to see how some do them just because everyone else does, and they think this kinda stuff is making them instantly cool and hip. Trust me, be yourself, do what you really love to do, and you're good to go.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too the point ! perfect ;)

you forgot to mention Blackberry, Chanel bags, and Hermes Birkin bags :p

*Kadi*

Smart CoOKie said...

I'm with you in all of it, except GG. No matter how lame it is, I am hooked till the end. I even cried yesterday cuz the season finale sucked! LOL. But seriously copying Blair is not cool. Obsessing over something just cuz everyone is doing it too, is super not cool!

nosa said...

ufffffffffffff ench jebteeha 9a7!!

walah i ws just gonna write about cupcakes in my post today

adri i make them n i have a business.. every1 knows im not a baker.. i love making ppl happy.. thats my goal n well i love to create stuff.. bs seriously.. cupcakes 9ar like a baqalat.. in every corner u c 1.. everything i think wt have i put myself into.. i feel lame sometimes thought i know im different in Bahrain @ least..

sushi talk is annoying too n soo is nail polish.. n all the PINK thats going around!! yeess elkel 9aar so girly o likes pink!! since i ws born i ws into pink.. now i hate it mmn hal trend i changed my toom to mostly beige!

springiyaaa said...

eveything u said is soo truee !
What TV seried do u recommend watching ?

- F said...

THE BIRKIN!!!!!
Blackberries! *even though I LOVE mine, but I didn't buy it to be with the crowd I bought it because I needed to have a multifunctional phone*
Leggings! Uh the leggings, under the Abayah especially what's up with that?
Home-made bracelet, ohmagosh they're everywhere!

And the list can go on forever!

I use to love Poloshirts, but now I can't touch mine, I feel stupid wearing it.

eshda3wa said...

dont forget blackberrys

nail polish

birkin bag + chanel maxi bag

uggs !

rencontrer Pauline said...

whats wrong with trends? not bad I dont mind seeing having or copying others ,it's because they like what they see and they wanna try it:p mm photography never thought of someone who take such pics and says photographer except if he/she took some courses and training .

sushi ergh and I love gossip girl (a) ll7een feeh wela stopped? i finished season 1 2 3

samaher said...

my sick fiend go to sushi restaurant just to live it and say she goes there regularly even though she never tried it before

Shoosh said...

Hi Hind,

Happy that you're back. I love reading your blog! <3

You took the words right out of my mouth! It's sadly true what you wrote above!! All of a sudden cupcakes, sushi, photography, and others became trending-boring-topics and things that apparently make you ""sophisticated""! I'm not a fan of them, and will never be! ;) :p

Anonymous said...

Kadi-
Thanks! I think this list could never end.

SmartCookie-
I love Gossip Girl too but it is sickening to see all those Blair copycats.

Nosa-
Haha, yeah, PINK! I've loved this color since forever and was sometimes even embarrassed for doing so.
I loved your post!!

Springiya-
Thanks :)
I watch Grey's Anatomy, House, HIMYM (though now I'm only watching it for the old times sake), The Big Bang Theory, SATC, 90210.. And if you haven't watched Ugly Betty, I SO recommend it. It's over now though :(

F-
Exactly, I love my Blackberry but I'm always embarrassed to hold it in public, lol. It's like a stigma :s

Eshda3wa-
It's too hot for uggs :|

Another-Penelope-
Trends are okay until they turn epidemic and girls become copies in different sizes and colors. Or when, even though they don't like a certain trend much, they follow it because everyone else is. Now this sucks.

Samaher-
LOL. Weird.

Shoosh-
Thank you Shoosh :D I'm happy too!
Haha way to go girl!

Anonymous said...

I was obsessed with cupcakes, but only with two shops, that are over here, and my sister's cupcakes. Our family bakes from scratch and my sister started selling hers as a project, and it's working out well so far, but then again she doesn't only sell cupcakes. I really dislike the cupcakes I tried in Riyadh; they're so bad.

Some Saudis overdo it with the polos. I wouldn't mind it if they'd use them with vests, cardigans, or jackets on top, or maybe wear a colored tank under them, but no, they have to wear the polos without anything else. By the way, polos have been a basic top for Saudis, but it's just the "uncool" ones who've started wearing them. Personally, I'd rather see polos than gangster tops!

loved the show's first two seasons and hated it since Chuck got tamed. He was the only reason I watched the show, well, him and Blair's clothes (only the first season's dresses). I tend to wear waistless dresses, so the first season was amazingly fitting. I also love headbands and bows, so that was to my advantage at the time. I remember wearing a dress and a headband and having someone tell me I looked Blair-ish, which was a compliment because it was pre-Blair-dressing hype. I look up to Season-One-Blair but I don't imitate her. I threw my bow headbands a year or so ago because I hated how it became a Saudi trend. I still wear headbands, and some have bows on them, but they look distinctly different from what Blair wore. Besides, people's tastes change ;D

Love veggie sushi, can't stand seafood sushi. Some sushi-eaters don't consider veggie sushi as sushi. It's become a trend? The only sushi lovers I know of are fellow Japanese/Korean anime, manga/manhwa, drama watchers/readers.

I really enjoy taking pictures. I'm not going to claim that I'm a professional, and I don't own a pro or semi-pro camera (I'm a religious concert-goer, and such cameras are prohibited, so I won't buy one anytime soon), but I'd like to think that my pictures aren't bad. I've a few friends who claim they're photographers, and a few are as good as they claim. However, a person just popped in my head. She has a group where she advertises her photography project and her photography isn't professional enough for her to advertise =S

Taqo said...

LOL, you're back! :-p

Haha, I can relate to this, and I have a feeling that I would be able to relate so much more if I was still living in KSA. I've been seeing all the headband and bakery groups on facebook, lol. It cracks me up to be honest. I know a couple of people that have started "catering services". ;)

I hate to be that person that dislikes something because it's popular though, lol. Especially since I'm a pop culture geek. :$

3bdallah said...

Great post Hind .. I like :)
especially the Sushi and Cupcakes, though I see girls tweet about cookies more than cupcakes nowadays :)

Anonymous said...

Mochness,
Same here. Almost all my dresses are waistless - which drives mom crazy, lol. I loved Blair's wardrobe in the first two seasons only.
Thank you <3 love your reply!


Taqo,
Lol me too, I don't wanna be that person. But seriously you can't help it!
Yes, I'm back.. I'm sensing a smirk here ;P

3abdallah,
Thankss:D
I'm a cookie monster, please don't hate me.

rencontrer Pauline said...

oh yeah i got ya, true